17 Amazing Social Media Stats That Will Boggle Your Mind
1. There are 2.3 billion active social media users.
2. Facebook continues to be the most widely used social media platform, with 79% of American internet users. Based on total population, (not just internet users) 68% of U.S. adults use it.
3. Instagram receives the silver medal with 32% of users, Pinterest coming in a close third with 31%, and LinkedIn and Twitter at 29% and 24% respectively.
4. Tweets with images receive 18% more clicks than tweets without images.
5. On LinkedIn, 98% of posts with images receive more comments and posts with links have a 200% higher engagement rate.
6. There are about 81 million fake Facebook accounts and about 5% of twitter accounts are bogus.
7. The user-submitted YouTube video with the most views is “Charlie bit my finger” with over 845 million views.
8. 78% of people who complain to a brand via Twitter expect a response within an hour.
9. Facebook adds 500,000 new users every day; 6 new profiles every second.
10. There are 500 million Tweets sent each day. That’s 6,000 Tweets every second.
11. It took 3 years, 2 months and 1 day to go from the first Tweet to the billionth.
12. US adults spend an average of 1 hour, 16 minutes each day watching video on digital devices.
13. 91% of retail brands use 2 or more social media channels.
14. 88% of 18 – 29 year olds are on Facebook.
15. 79% of 30 – 49 year olds are on Facebook.
16. 61% of 50 – 64 year olds are on Facebook.
17. Pinterest is five times better at driving in-store sales than any other social platform.